SUGGESTED COMBINED MEETING WITH OXFORD GUILD.
A very successful meeting of the Andover District was held at Woolton Hill on Saturday week, when good practice was obtained in a variety of methods on the light ring of six.
During the afternoon the bells at East Woodhay were also available, and a party went over there and rang several six-scores of Grandsire, Stedman and Bob Doubles. It is interesting to note that this old ring of five were cast at the Aldbourne (Wilts) foundry in 1728 by John Cox.
At the service, at which the Guild form was used, the Vicar (Rev. E. Utterton) gave a very interesting address from the text, ‘Labourers working together for God.’
Tea was served in the Church Hall, and the business meeting followed, the Vicar being voted to the chair. He was supported by Rev. F. C. Sear (district secretary), Mr. G. Williams (Master), Mr. Curtis (Oxford Guild), and ringers from Highclere, King’s Somborne, Newbury, North Stoneham, St. Mary Bourne, Winchester, Woolton Hill and Wootton St. Lawrence.
A suggestion was made that combined meetings should be held with the Newbury Branch of the Oxford Guild at some of the border towers, and Mr. Curtis (Newbury District secretary) said that he was very much in favour of the suggestion being adopted as he felt that it would be for the good of both Guilds. He would bring the matter before his members.
A vote of sympathy was passed to Mr. Rex on the recent death of his mother, the members standing in silence.
The District Secretary announced that the next meeting, which would be the annual meeting, would be at Whitchurch on February 2nd, 1929.
During the evening the new ring of eight at Highclere were also available for ringing, and a good number availed themselves of this privilege.
The Ringing World No. 925, December 14th, 1928, page 790