The annual meeting of the Winchester and Portsmouth Diocesan Guild was held at Basingstoke on July 1st and, was attended by members from the districts of Alton and Petersfield, Basingstoke, Isle of Wight, Portsmouth, Southampton and Winchester. Among the visitors were Mr. R. T. Hibbert and his son.
The service in St. Michael's Church was conducted by the Vicar, the Rev. A. W. Chute, who gave an address.
Mr. George Williams, the Master, presided at the business meeting, held in the Church Cottage, and was supported by Mr. W. Linter, the hon. treasurer, and Mr. G. Pullinger, who acted as secretary in the absence of Mr. F. W. Rogers.
Owing to paper shortage the annual report was reduced to the smallest limit. It stated that a good number of meetings had been held in two or three districts, although in others there appeared to have been difficulties. Thanks were expressed to the officials of the Central Council for their action taken in connection with "The Ringing World."
The financial statement showed a balance of £271 18s. 10d. The report and balance sheet were adopted.
A recommendation of the Executive Committee dealing with the revival of interest in ringing was accepted, and it was decided to circulate it to all towers in the dioceses.
Mr. George Williams was re-elected Master, Mr. Fred W. Rogers general hon. secretary, Mr. W. Linter hon. treasurer, Mr. A. V. Davis peal recorder, and Mr. G. Smith hon. auditor.
Portsmouth was selected for the annual meeting of 1945.
A vote of thanks was given to the Vicar and the ladies who provided the tea. The ringing during afternoon and evening ranged from rounds to Surprise Major.
The Ringing World No. 1738, July 14th, 1944, page 293