JOINT GATHERING AT NEWBURY.
A very successful joint meeting of the above Guilds was held at Newbury on Saturday last [Aug. 10th], when 50 members attended from Swindon, North Stoneham, Englefield, Bramley, Rainham (Kent), Reading, Maidenhead, Ringwood, Croydon, Faringdon, Aldermaston, Beenham, North Bassett, Winchester, Binfield, Bucklebury, Beedon, Brightwalton, Highclere, Woolton Hill, Shaw, and the Newbury ringers. Service was conducted by the Rector (the Rev. L. R. Majendie), who gave a very interesting address. Tea was served in the Parish Room by Mrs. H. W. Curtis, assisted by the ringers’ wives. The Rector presided, and was supported by Mr. G. Williams (Master of the Winchester Guild), Mr. R. T. Hibbert (general secretary of the Oxford Guild), Mr. W. Andrews (Winchester Cathedral), and Mr. H. W. Curtis (hon. secretary and treasurer of the Newbury Branch).
The Rector welcomed the ringers, and said how pleased he was to see so many present.- Mr. G. Williams spoke on behalf of the Winchester Guild, saying it was 40 years since he rang on Newbury bells.
Mr. H. W. Curtis also welcomed the Winchester Guild, and hoped this would be one of many meetings to be held jointly by the two Guilds.
The Rector proposed a hearty vote of thanks to Mrs. Curtis and the ladies for providing the tea.- Mr. H. W. Curtis proposed a vote of thanks to the Rector for his address and for the use of the bells.- This was seconded by Mr. Crocker and carried with applause.
The tower was again visited, and some good touches in the following methods were rung: Grandsire and Stedman Triples, Plain Bob, Kent Treble Bob, Cambridge and Double Norwich Major.
Apologies were received from the Rev. C. W. O. Jenkyn (Master of the Oxford Guild) and Mr. G. Pullinger (general secretary of the Winchester Guild).
The Ringing World No. 960, August 16th, 1929, page 522