Winchester has lost the captain of the Cathedral band for over 50 years by the death on July 22nd of Mr. Wilfred Andrews at the age of 76 years. His strength had been failing for some months, and on July 15th he was admitted to Winchester Hospital.

In his native town, Cirencester, he learnt to ring. He came to Winchester in 1892 as a doctor's dispenser, but a few years later he started in business on his own account as a mineral-water manufacturer, establishing the well-known St. Swithun's works.

Since 1898 he had been captain of the Cathedral Branch, and his membership of the Diocesan Guild is upwards of 60 years. For 40 years he served on the executive committee and had represented the Guild on the Diocesan Advisory Committee since 1921. He also acted as hon. treasurer of the Winchester District for several years. He had rung for the Guild between 20 and 30 peals. His unfailing courtesy and kindness endeared him to everyone, and he will be greatly missed at Guild meetings and by visiting ringers to the Cathedral.

The funeral service was held in the Cathedral on July 27th, and was taken by Canon Moor. The lesson was read by Rev. J. Mansel (chairman, Winchester District), the Bishop of Southampton gave the Blessing, and there was a large congregation of townspeople and friends.

The Winchester and Portsmouth Diocesan Guild was represented by Messrs. G. Pullinger (Master), W. Linter (treasurer), G. Smith (auditor), Rev. S. Gidlow (Goodworth Clatford), J. Hill and A. Mitchell (Andover), G. Chappell (Wickham), L. Tremeer (Alresford), R. Smith and W. Melville (Wonston), L. Lampard (Twyford), D. West (Sparsholt), F. Davis (Kings Somborne), J. Brazier (Micheldever), C. Kippin (Southampton), G. Noice, H. Cook, W. Goodchild, P. Bullen, R. Paine, W. Lampard, E. Lampard and A. Goulding (Winchester Cathedral).

Among the many floral tributes were wreaths from Winchester and Portsmouth Diocesan Guild, the Winchester District and Winchester Cathedral ringers.

The Cathedral bells were rung half-muffled during the evening, and as the Cathedral bells were not available a memorial peal was attempted at St. Michael's, Southampton, on Saturday.

The Ringing World No. 2000, August 5th, 1949, page 369