The first annual meeting of the new Alton and Petersfield District was held at St. Lawrence's, Alton, on Saturday, February 10th, when members were present from Alton, Alresford, Blackmoor, Bramshott, Bishopstoke, Fareham, Froyle, North Stoneham, Portsea, Petersfield, Steep, Titchfield, Winchester, Wickham, West Meon and visitors from Farnham and Farnborough. After ringing during the afternoon the Guild service was held, and a most helpful address given by the Vicar (the Rev. T. N. R. Griffen). An excellent tea was served in the Church Room, to which a company of 65 in all sat down.
The business meeting followed, the Rev. F. G. Eyres (district chairman) presiding. He paid tribute to the work of the Rev. B. C. Taylor (the late district secretary), and a hearty vote of thanks was unanimously accorded him.
The balance sheet of the old Alton District was read and adopted.
The election of officers for the year 1934 resulted in the same committee returning to office, with the exception of the hon. secretary, whose place was filled by Mr. C. E. Bassett; the other officers were re-elected as follows: Chairman, the Rev. F. G. Eyres; auditor, the Rev. T. N. R. Griffen; district representative, Mr. W. Head.
Three new ringing members were elected, and it was decided to hold the next annual district meeting at Petersfield on January 26th, 1935, and the first quarterly meeting at Blackmoor on April 28th.
Votes of thanks were accorded the chairman, caterers and organist, and also the Rev. Griffen for so ably arranging the tea and for his address. Ringing was then resumed, the methods ranging from Grandsire Doubles to London Surprise Major.
The Ringing World No. 1196, February 23rd, 1934, page 123