The third annual meeting of the Alton and Petersfield District was held at Alton. Those present included the Rev. F. G. Eyres (district chairman), the Rev. T. N. R. Griffin (district auditor), and ringing members from Alton, Blackmoor, Hawkley, Petersfield, Privett, Steep and one unattached. On account of the death of His late Majesty King George V., the bells were kept silent as a token of respect, with the exception of a short service touch with clappers fully muffled. The Guild's service was conducted by the Vicar (the Rev. T. N. R. Griffin), who also said a few words of welcome to those present, and spoke of the loss the country had sustained by the death of King George. Tea was served in the Parish Room, to which 26 sat down.
Before proceeding to the business meeting, the chairman called for a short silence as a mark of respect to the late King, and spoke of his appreciation of the action of the members in letting the arrangements stand under the circumstances and yet giving up a certain amount of pleasure by keeping the bells silent.
The annual report and balance sheet for 1935 were read. The latter showed a balance in hand of £6.
The district officers for 1936 and the committee were re-elected. Five new ringing members were elected from Bramshott.
The next annual meeting was fixed for January 23rd, 1937, at Petersfield. The next quarterly meeting will be held on April 25th.
The Ringing World No. 1306, April 3rd, 1936, page 228