The annual meeting of the Alton and Petersfield District of the Winchester and Portsmouth Guild was held at Petersfield. Those present included Rev. E. C. A. Kent (Vicar of Petersfield), Rev. F. G. Eyres (district chairman), and ringing members from Alton, Blackmoor, Hawkley, Liss, New Alresford, Petersfield, Portsea, Ryde and Steep. The bells were rung in the afternoon and evening to the standard methods. The Guild's service was conducted by the Rev. E. C. A. Kent, who offered a warm welcome and gave a short and encouraging address. Tea in St. Peter's Hall was followed by the business meeting, presided over by the district chairman. The hon. secretary read his report and also the balance sheet, which showed a balance in hand of £11 14s.
Mr. George Hall, jun., and Mr. Reginald Thorrett, both of Blackmoor, were elected ringing members. Mr. A. H. Fisher, late of Petersfield, was elected a compounding member. The meeting learned with regret that the Rev. F. G. Eyres (district chairman) was resigning his office, and also that the vice-chairman (the Rev. C. Minton-Senhouse) was resigning, as he had left the district. Votes of thanks were accorded in each case.
The officers were then elected as follows: District chairman, the Rev. E. C. A. Kent; hon. secretary, Mr. C. E. Bassett; hon. auditor, the Rev. T. N. Rathbone-Griffin; district representatives on committee, Mr. W. Read and Mr. A. Hardiman. The next annual meeting at Alton was fixed for January 27th, 1940, and the next quarterly meeting on April 15th, 1959, at Blackmoor.
The usual votes of thanks were accorded at the close of the meeting.
The Ringing World No. 1460, March 17th, 1939, page 175