A new treble bell to increase the ring to six was dedicated at Barton Stacey, Hants, on Saturday week, by the Bishop of Southampton. The old oak bell cage was badly damaged by the death-watch beetle, and a new frame has been provided and the old bells retuned. The work, the gift of the Emma Barron Bell Trust, has been carried out by Messrs. Taylor and Co., of Loughborough, in their customary efficient manner.
Some of the old bells are of historic interest, as they were cast by a little known founder, Cor, of Aldbourne, Wilts. The earliest known bell in Hampshire from this foundry is dated 1693. The inscriptions on the old bells are: 2, Cor of Aldbourne 1725; 3, T. Mears of London, fecit 1828; 4, C. Winkworth gave five guineas, Cor of Aldbourne 1725; 5, Martin Wright Esquire gave ten guineas, Cor of Aldbourne 1725; 6, Nicholas Elliott and John Edwards C.W. O. Cor 1725.
The church was crowded for the dedication service, prior to which the old five bells were rung. About 30 members of the Winchester and Portsmouth Diocesan Guild were present, and Mr. R. H. Dove represented the founders. The service was conducted by the Vicar (the Rev. G. C. R. d'Arcy), and the lessons were read by Canon R. S. Medlicott (Rural Dean of Whitchurch) and Canon Cunningham (Rural Dean of Winchester).
During the procession of the Bishop, Vicar and choir to the tower, music to Hawker's poem, "The Bells of Bottreaux, " was played on the organ by the Rev. N. C. Woods, Sacrist of Winchester Cathedral, and formerly hon. treasurer of the Winchester Guild:-
Come to thy God in time,|
Thus saith the pealing chime
Youth, manhood, old age past,
Come to thy God at last.
Then followed the Dedication, and while the choir and clergy were returning to the choir stalls the bells were rung by W. Andrews (Winchester) 1, R. Smith (Wonston) 2, J. A. Hill (Bishopstoke) 3, N. R. Perkins (Stockbridge) 4, O. Smart (Andover) 5, J. Chesterman (Basingstoke) 6.
The Bishop of Southampton based his address on the science of bellringing. which, he said, was peculiarly an English custom. He hoped the bells would send out a two-fold message - a challenge to the worship of God in God's house; a consolation to those who were unable to do so.
During the singing of the hymn, "Saviour, again to Thy dear Name we raise," a collection was made, and a beautiful and memorable service was brought to a close.
Ringing was kept up during the evening, and everyone was delighted with the improvement effected in the bells.
The Ringing World No. 1199, March 16th, 1934, page 167