The bell frame at this church being light and very shaky, and the three back bells extremely false, the churchwardens entrusted the work of strengthening the frame, part re-hanging the bells, etc., to Mr. T. Blackbourn, of Salisbury, who has carried it out in a thoroughly satisfactory manner. The frame has been strengthened by long vertical bolts, and cast iron angle corners well bolted, the light portions of the frame removed and more substantial timbers inserted, new bearings put to the treble and second, new stock, gudgeons, and bearings to tenor, and new false staples where required. Visitors who before found it difficult to strike these bells can now ring them with ease. The first peal of Major on them since the completion of the work (a report of which will be found in its proper place) was rung on Saturday, October 27th, by a mixed band of the Winchester Diocesan Guild, the ringers expressing their satisfaction at the creditable manner in which Mr. Blackbourn has carried out the work.
The Bell News No. 656, November 3, 1894, page 277
The gale on Saturday night blew a board from the window at St. Michael’s Church, Basingstoke, across the frame of the 2nd bell. When the bell was pulled off on Sunday the wheel was smashed and the bell lifted from its bearings. The tenor wheel was also slightly damaged.
As a result of this accident it is doubtful if the bells will be available for the annual meeting of the Basingstoke District of the Winchester and Portsmouth Guild on January 27th, but there will be ringing at All Saints’ Church.
The Ringing World No. 1191, January 19th, 1934, page 43