BASINGSTOKE DISTRICT’S GOOD START.
The inaugural meeting of the re-formed Basingstoke District was, held at Basingstoke on Saturday [Feb. 18th], and over fifty members were present from Basingstoke (St. Michael’s and All Saints’), Bramley, Binfield, Deane, Ellisfield, King’s Somborne, North Stoneham, Oakley, Overton, Sherborne St. John, Sherfield, Silchester, Winchester and Yateley.
Service was held at St. Michael’s, and was taken by Rev. E. Jones. At the close the members adjourned to the Church Hall, where a splendid tea, very generously provided by the Basingstoke bands, was enjoyed.
At the business meeting the Rev. G. H. Jeudwine, R.D., was voted to the chair and was supported by Rev. H. T. Adams, Rev. E. Jones, Dr. Boustead, D.D., Mr. G. Williams (Master), Mr. W. Andrews, Mr. F. Wilson, Mr. H. Home and others.
The General Secretary (Mr. G. Pullinger) explained the reasons for forming the diocesan area into smaller districts, and stated that the following towers had been provisionally placed in the new Basingstoke District: Basingstoke (All Saints’ and St. Michael’s), Yateley (eight-bell towers); Bramley, Deane, Kingsclere, Oakley, Odiham, Overton, Rotherwick, Sherfield and Wolverton (six-bell towers); Baughurst, Dummer, Ellisfield, Heckfield, Monk’s Sherborne, Sherborne St. John, Silchester, Strathfieldsaye, and Wootton St. Lawrence (five-bell towers).
District officers were elected as follows: Chairman, Dr. Boustead; secretary, Rev. E. Jones (Basingstoke); auditor, Mr. F. Wilson (Basingstoke); Ringing Master, Mr. C. Osler (Bramley); representative on Central Committee, Mr. C. Chesterman (Basingstoke).
It was decided to hold the next annual meeting at Basingstoke on Saturday, January 26th, 1929.
Quarterly meetings were arranged as follows: Deane and Church Oakley on April 28th, Yateley on June 6th, and Kingsclere and Wolverton on September 15th.
The bands at Ellisfield and Sherborne St. John joined the Guild. This brings the number of affiliated towers in the new district up to 15, while a letter was read from the Vicar of Monk’s Sherborne, from which it appeared that his band were likely to join shortly.
The bells at the churches of All Saints and St. Michael (both rings of eight) were available during the afternoon and evening, and various methods practised.
The Ringing World No. 883, February 24th, 1928, page 125