The spring meeting of the Basingstoke District was held at Deane on April 28th. Close on 70 members were gathered together, and they were met by Dr. Smith, the town clerk of Basingstoke, on their way to the church. Through the instrumentality of the Rev. C. D. P. Davies, who resigned the incumbency 12 months ago, a new treble bell has been added to the other five, and the addition has made an enormous difference in the ringing. A pleasant feature was the large number of parishioners who came to join in the service. The ringers and parishioners filled the church to overflowing. Why not invite our congregations to attend as well? Their presence is a mark of unity.
At the business meeting a letter was read from the Rev. C. D. P. Davies, an old friend of the Guild and former district secretary, who is now Master of the Gloucestershire and Bristol Association. The Yateley band gave a ‘turn’ on their handbells by ringing Grandsire Doubles. This was very much appreciated, especially by some of the younger members of the Guild, who had not had the privilege of hearing handbells before. Meetings are usually dry and rigid, but a little music in some form or another creates enthusiasm, interest and admiration.
The Ringing World No. 895, May 18th, 1928, page 315