YATELEY’S RETURN TO BASINGSTOKE DISTRICT.
A very successful and enjoyable quarterly meeting of the Basingstoke District of the Winchester and Portsmouth Diocesan Guild was held at Yateley on Saturday, June 23rd, when about 40 members attended from Basingstoke (St. Michael’s and All Saints’), Bramley, Heckfield, North Stoneham, Oakley, Overton, Silchester, Winchester and Yateley. Disappointment was expressed at not seeing any visitors from the adjacent towers in the Guildford diocesan area.
Service was held at 4 p.m., and the Rev. E. Jones (district secretary) conducted the Guild form of service, assisted by the Vicar of Yateley.
A splendid tea, provided by the generosity of the Yateley ringers and friends, was enjoyed in the Parish Room, presided over by the Vicar.
At the business meeting, the Vicar welcomed the Guild to Yateley and expressed the wish that the visit would soon be repeated.
Mr. S. J. Riddell, the genial leader of the local band, gave a short and interesting history of the bells, in which he mentioned that Yateley at one time in the Basingstoke District, was afterwards transferred to the Yorktown District, and now again found itself in the Basingstoke District, to the great satisfaction of the local ringers.
The Secretary announced that the next meeting would be held at Kingsclere on September 15th, and urged all who intended to attend to let him know early. Full particulars will appear in ‘The Ringing World’ in due course.
During the afternoon and evening good use was made of the bells, and touches of Bob, Grandsire, and Stedman Doubles, Grandsire and Stedman Triples, and Bob Major brought round.
The Ringing World No. 901, June 29th, 1928, page 407