The annual meeting of the Basingstoke District, held at Basingstoke, was attended by 75 members, the following towers being represented: Basingstoke, Oakley, Yateley, Silchester, Overton, Sherfield-on-Lodden, Baughurst, Rotherwick, Wootton, Bramley, Odiham and Upton Grey. Visitors were present from North Stoneham, Bishopstoke, Highclere and St. Mary Bourne, and Mr. G. Williams, Master of the Guild, was a very welcome guest.
Service was held in St. Michael's Church, the Vicar (the Rev. A. W. Chute, M.A.) conducting the service and preaching an interesting sermon. He extended a welcome to all the ringers and remarked that he thought bellringing was one of the arts connected with the Church that was most precious and was a great force in the country.
Tea was served in Church Cottage, and the Rev. G. H. Jeudwine, R.D., presided at the meeting which followed.
Major J. D. Stillwell (hon. district secretary), of Yateley, extended a hearty welcome to the Rev. A. W. Chute, and, in presenting his report, revealed a very satisfactory state of affairs.
The officers elected were: The Rev. G. H. Jeudwine, chairman; Major J. D. Stillwell, hon. secretary and treasurer; Mr. C. Osler, Ringing Master; Messrs. J. Chesterman and H. Balaam, representatives on the Executive Committee of the Guild; Mr. G. Ives, auditor.
Quarterly meetings were fixed for Sherborne St. John on April 17th, Yateley on July 10th, and Upton Grey on September 25th.
Ringing continued until 8 o'clock, and ranged from rounds to Cambridge Surprise.
The Ringing World No. 1353, February 26, 1937, page 134