The annual general meeting of the Basingstoke District of the Winchester and Portsmouth Diocesan Guild was held at Basingstoke on Saturday, January 29th, and was attended by 89 of the 124 ringing members. Owing to the absence through illness of the Vicar, the service, which was held in St. Michael's Church, was conducted by the Rev. G. W. O. Addleshaw, who also gave the address.
In his report, the hon. secretary (Major Stilwell) mentioned continued good attendances at quarterly meetings, and welcomed the affiliation of Stratfieldsaye, the last remaining tower in the district. He regretted the departure of the Rev. C. Tooth from Rotherwick, for he had worked hard to bring efficiency to his tower, and had himself learned to manage a bell. The Guild mourned the loss of Mr. F. Wilson and Mr. W. Hunt, two stalwarts who would be very hard to replace. Subscriptions continued to come in regularly from the towers, resulting in a balance of £20 19s. 4½d. The co-operation of secretaries in neighbouring districts was much valued in helping to fix meetings.
The District Chairman, the Rev. G. H. Jeudwine, in closing the meeting, stressed the necessity of recruiting ringers beyond the number of bells in a tower in order to ensure Sunday ringing at full strength. It was vital that the public should realise the importance of the message entrusted to the ringers.
The Ringing World No. 1402, February 3, 1938, page 79