Stedman and Grandsire Doubles have been the order of the day and night at the above town this Christmas and New Year. On Christmas morning, at 6.0 and 10.30, good striking was prevalent, and on New Year’s Eve this branch of the Winchester Diocesan Guild rang a half-muffled peal, and welcomed the new year afterwards with “firing” and two well-struck Grandsires, the bells being taken in the various peals by E. N. Garnett, sen., 1; E. N. Garnett, jun. (conductor), 2; M. C. Brock, 3 (and tenor in another peal); T. Shorney, 2; - Shorney, 4; W. Cook, - Hale, W. Savage, treble, &c., and - Whiteman, tenor, &c. The ringers partook of the usual one o’clock breakfast in the Rectory kitchen, where cake and coffee were discussed, as well as tobacco, and future handbell quartet fixtures for the current year. Mr. Chapman and G. Reeves, jun., from Upham (5-bell ringer), were the guests.
The Bell News No. 198, January 16, 1886, page 331
Dedication of Restored Peal.
For the past nine years the inhabitants of this quiet country town had not heard their bells raised, and Wednesday, December 5th, was a day of rejoicing when the restored peal of six rang out once more their well-known message.
A special dedication service had been printed for the occasion, based upon that used at the services of the Winchester Diocesan Guild, and the hymns were heartily sung to well-known tunes. The service began with the shortened form of evensong sung by the Vicar (Rev. J. P. Nash), the proper psalms being cxxii. and cl., and the proper lesson Numbers x. 1-11, read by the Rev. Canon Lee (Rural Dean). The Lord Bishop of Southampton was met at the west door by the clergy and choir. - Among the former were the Revs. W. E. Medlicott (Swanmore), H. D. Baker (Botley), G. M. Thompson (Bishops Waltham), and C. E. Matthews (Bursledon), Hon. Secretary of the Diocesan Guild. Amongst the congregation were several clergy belonging to the Deanery, including the Rev. R. C. M. Harvey (Master of the Guild), and the Rev. H. Wheat (Hursley). The Bishop gave a most appropriate address based upon Psalm xcviii., verse 7.
He said that the various functions and offices of the Church were the fruit of centuries of Christianity, every sight and sound had its proper meaning and its own teaching. Music expressed every motion of the heart, and the music of the bells gave expression to Christian joy, sometimes that joy was intensified on occasions of thanksgiving and praise, sometimes that joy was chastened in times of sorrow, and the muffled peal conveyed the lesson of Christian hope to many a heart laden with sorrow, but nevertheless confident of life beyond. The result of Christian joy was the spirit of joyfulness, and there was no part of the Christian character which we were more in danger of losing now than this spirit of joyfulness. It was only sin in its various forms and the cares and anxieties of the world which destroyed this joy. The ringers were ministers of joy, and their very position implied that they must live pure lives. Their work taught them the lessons of unselfishness and readiness to help each other. In their ringing they must combine or their labours would be as meaningless if divided as the worship of God in His Church would be if the clergy and choir did not unite to rejoice unto God with reverence. The restoration of their bells gave the parishioners an opportunity of kindling afresh a grateful and adoring love of God.
The service was very well attended, and the offertory for the restoration fund amounted to £11.
At the conclusion of the service members of the Winchester Diocesan Guild rang several touches in Minor methods, the first being a 720 of Kent Treble Bob, in 27 mins. W. Cooper, F. Hill, A. Millard, G. E. Chappell, G. Grafham conductor, J. W. Whiting.
At 5 o’clock the ringers were entertained at tea at the Rectory by the Rev. J. P. Nash, On behalf of those present Mr. T. Blackbourn thanked the Rector for his kindness. He had done the very best he could in rehanging and recasting, and he was sure that with care and attention it would prove so.
The Rector said it had given him much pleasure to entertain such a band of ringers, and hoped that they would have ringer’s meetings in the future.
After tea the bells were set going until it was time to catch the last train. Mr. J. W. Whiting, district secretary for Portsmouth, was in charge of the ringing, and collected his men from towers in the immediate neighbourhood.
Mr. T. Blackbourn, of Salisbury, has put in some excellent work. The treble and 4th bells have been re-cast, both having been cracked. The frame is of iron supported on steel girders, and there are two vacant pits for a couple of trebles, which are sure to come before long. An Ellacombe chiming apparatus has been fixed, and the whole peal has been re-tuned. The 3rd bell is rather a weak one, and sounds flat beside the recast 4th, while the tenor (dated 1597) is not what it ought to be. It was better, however, to retain these than to re-cast the whole peal, as some had suggested, and Mr. Blackbourn has certainly done all he could. It is interesting to note that the 5th and tenor were originally cast at the Sarum foundry by John Wallis, at the end of the 16th century. The total cost of the work has been £243.
The Bell News No. 1027, December 16, 1901, page 385
The rebuilt organ at Bishop’s Waltham Church, Hants, was opened at a special service on October 4th. The address was given by the Rev. Canon L. S. Etheridge, Rector of Droxford, the service having been conducted by the Rev. N. H. Stubbs (Rector). The bells were rung for an hour before the service, and touches brought round in the four standard methods by members of the local band, assisted by members of the "Wednesday" band, including Messrs. F. S. Bayley, W. Linter, sen., W. Linter, jun., H. Beckett, G. Williams, L. Knott and Mrs. Guy.
The newly-constructed organ was played for the first time at the Sunday service on the following Sunday, when Mr. Haydn Hull was the organist. A small balance is still wanted to wipe off the sum which has been expended, viz., between £700 and £800.
The Ringing World No. 1492, October 27th, 1939, page 657