RECTOR’S NOVEL STEP TO INTEREST PARISHIONERS.
On Sunday, October 20th, members of the Winchester and Portsmouth Guild from Highclere and Woolton Hill were invited by the Rector of Burghclere (the Rev. Canon Medlicott) to ring the bells after evening service, the object being to enlighten the people of Burghclere in the art of change ringing.
The Rector preached a sermon on bells and change ringing, and asked the congregation to stay and listen to the ringing.
Burghclere church bells (a light ring of six) were for some time in a very bad state, and very little ringing was, or could be, done with them. However, funds were raised, and the bells now have been rehung with new fittings, including ball bearings, by Messrs. Mears and Stainbank. The result is that the bells go perfectly.
Twelve members from the two towers mentioned took this opportuity of ringing at Burghclere, and some good touches of Doubles and Minor were brought round. Several of the local ringers were also present, and it is hoped they will make good use of the bells. Thanks were accorded to the Rector for the opportunity provided to ring the bells.
The Ringing World No. 971, November 1st, 1929, page 697