The death occurred recently of the Rev. A. du Boulay Hill, the founder, in 1879, of the Winchester Diocesan Guild and its first secretary. In those days he was a great enthusiast, having got most of his inspiration from his connection with Oxford University Society, of which Canon Coleridge, the late Rev. C. D. P. Davies and other well-known clergy were members.
Among his early peals was the first rung by a band of clergymen. This was a peal of Stedman Triples rung at Drayton, Berkshire, on October 2nd, 1884, conducted by the Rev. F. E. Robinson. The other ringers were the Revs. G. F. Coleridge, F. A. H. Du Boulay, A. du B. Hill, W. S. Willett, C. C. Child, C. D. P. Davies and J. H. Fish.
Another peal in which he had a share was the second one rung by Mr. George Williams. That was at Weybridge, Surrey, on January 16th, 1885, and was rung as a birthday peal for the Rev. H. A. Spyers, who had taken over the secretaryship of the Guild from Mr. Hill.
The Rev. A. du B. Hill had reached the advanced age of 88 years and had for some time been living in retirement. He was for 28 years Vicar of East Bridgeford, Notts, where he was buried.
The Ringing World No. 1449, December 30th, 1938, page 848