1. Opening Prayer & Master’s Welcome

    The Master David Strong, supported by the Honorary General Treasurer Michael Bubb and Minute Secretary, Pam Thompson opened the meeting at 10.17 a.m. by asking Canon Barry Fry to say a prayer. The Master welcomed everybody, especially new members, Janet McCoy, Mike Till and Lucy Walpole attending for the first time.

    Other members present were: Andrew Banks, Roger Barber, Andrew Byford, Diana Bishop, Andrew Case, Michael Church, Charlotte Colliss, John Davey, Nicky David, Barry Fry, Gillian Gardner, Keith Gillings, Christine Knights-Whittome, Janet McCoy, John Palk, Margaret Paterson, Bruce Purvis, Maureen Routh, Anthony P Smith, Michael Till, Lucy Walpole

  2. Apologies for absence

    Apologies were received from Clare Griffiths, Maureen Kelly, Mary Tester, Barbara Townsend.

  3. Loss of Members from death since the last Meeting

    The meeting stood to remember

    Ted ColleyBishops Waltham
    Nan ColleyBishops Waltham
    Martin HarbordEast Meon
    Rose LeeCurdridge
    John R PhillipsSouthampton
    Cynthia RolfWickham
    Ken TipperLM Petersfield

  4. Minutes of the last Meeting

    The minutes of the meeting held on 6th March 2010 had been distributed before the meeting. Acceptance was agreed with no votes against. The minutes were signed by the Master as a true record.

  5. Matters arising from the minutes

    1. Refurbishment of Guild handbells

      Bruce Purvis reported that the handbells had been refurbished and were available for inspection. The new handbell had been tuned in the wrong pitch but this would be replaced. He was thanked by the Guild Master for organising this.

    2. Guild Library

      The wording for the plaque on the door of the library cabinet would be completed in due course.

  6. Election of Committee Members

    Social CommitteeJulia Clarke
    Charlotte Colliss
    Clare Griffiths
    Proposed by John Davey
    Seconded by Barry Fry and carried
    Striking Competition
    ConvenorMike Till
    Proposed by Pam Thompson
    Seconded by Mike Bubb and carried

  7. Budget Bids for 2011

    i.Librarian & Archivist£50Agreed
    ii.Guild Report Editor£40Agreed
    iii.Belfry Stewardship Committee-
    iv.Education Committee-
    v.Communications Committee£475Agreed
    (Domain Name Renewals £10, Web Hosting £52.50,
    Newsletter Printing £360, Post & Packing £52.50)
    vii.Social Committee-
    viii.Striking Competition Convenor£50Agreed

    All these bids were individually approved by the meeting with no votes against.

  8. Bell Restoration Fund

    Andrew Case reported that the bells at Dummer were being taken out and should be back in by April 2011 with the addition of a new trap door. There was no further news from Portsea but they had started fundraising and were choosing a contractor.

  9. Guild Report

    John Palk had written a discussion paper on the Guild Annual Report. He recommended that the production and distribution of the report should continue as at present. It was suggested and agreed by the members that any unwanted copies of the report should be returned to the District Secretary to be redistributed to new members. An extra copy of the Report would be provided for the tower. Tony Smith asked John Palk to send a note to the District Secretaries explaining how to distribute the reports.

  10. Guild Dinner

    The Committee had visited various venues and had proposed that the 2011 dinner should be held on Saturday 21st May 2011 at the Holiday Inn, Winchester. A representative of each District was asked to collect a copy of the details of the dinner to distribute to their district towers. A concessionary rate was available at the hotel if guests wanted to stay overnight.

  11. Striking Competitions

    Arrangements were in hand for the inter-district 8-bell striking competition to be held in Ryde, Isle of Wight, on the 2nd July 2011 for the Guild AGM. Venues for other competitions had not yet been confirmed but Mike Till said that any suggestions or offers of help would be much appreciated.

  12. District Officers’ Forum

    David Strong had written a discussion paper suggesting a District Officers’ Forum which would meet once a year possibly on 2nd April 2011.

    He hoped that the idea of forming a District Forum would be discussed at the District AGMs in the New Year. David agreed to write to the District Chairmen to invite topics for discussion at the District Officers’ Forum meeting in April.
  13. Vacant Guild Positions

    It was noted that the position of BRF fundraiser remained vacant and there was still no Public Relations Officer.

  14. Date of next EC meeting

    This would take place on Saturday 12th March 2011 at 10.15 am.

  15. Future Events

    AGM 2.7.11 Striking Competition at 10 am at All Saints, Ryde. Service at the Minster Church, Newport at 3 pm with ringing from 2 pm. AGM at 4 pm with ringing afterwards plus other towers open during the day It was noted that the Island Games were being held that weekend so ferry services might be busy.
  16. Any other business

    1. James R Jerram, a Salisbury bellhanger in the late Victorian/Edwardian period had taken rubbings of bell inscriptions and added them to the county histories of the bells which were located in the library at Salisbury. Bruce Purvis reported that he had been visiting the library and scanning these inscriptions and putting them onto a CD which he would make available in the Guild Library as a resource.

    2. Mike Till offered to start thinking about arrangements for the Central Council visit to the Guild in 2016.

      His offer was kindly accepted by members at the meeting and he asked for offers of assistance with the arrangements. David Strong and John Davey offered their services.
As there was no further business, the meeting closed at 11.12 am.