NEW TREBLES ADDED TO MAKE AN OCTAVE.
Hampshire has gained another octave by the augmentation which has been carried out at Highclere. The original peal of six bells was cast by Messrs. J. Taylor and Co., in the year 1871. These bells have now been retuned and rehung in a new steel frame, and two new trebles have been presented by the Vicar and his wife, Rev. G. and Mrs. Dunlop. The result is a beautiful octave with a tenor of 10½ cwt., of which the people of Highclere may be justly proud.
The bells were reopened and the new trebles dedicated by the Bishop of Winchester on Saturday, October 6th, in the presence of a congregation that filled the church, and included a large number of clergy.
Members of the Winchester and Portsmouth Diocesan Guild were present in force, and included Mr. G. Williams (Master) , Mr. J. P. Fidler (representing the founders), Mr. F. W. Rogers, Mr. F. S. Bayley, Mr. Curtis, Miss N. Williams (Bath), and ringers from Bramley, Beedon, Bishopstoke, Fareham, Highclere, King’s Somborne, Newbury, North Stoneham, Oakley, Portsmouth, St. Mary Bourne, Stockbridge, Woolton Hill and Winchester.
The whole of the work has been carried out by Messrs. J. Taylor Co. in their usual excellent style, and gave every satisfaction. On Mr. Fidler’s recommendation, a double floor has been fitted below the bells, and this adds greatly to the comfort in the ringing chamber.
By the generosity of Rev. G. and Mrs. Dunlop, a splendid tea was enjoyed in the schoolroom, at which there were two christening cakes (one each for the new bells), bearing the following words in icing: (1) ‘A very hearty welcome to Hampshire bellringers, October 6th, 1928, from Highclere’; (2) ‘Ring in the love of truth and right, ring in the common love of good.’ These cakes were cut by Mrs. Williams and Mrs. Pullinger respectively.
Touches in various methods up to Cambridge and Superlative Surprise Major were rung following the dedication and during the evening. The bells at Woolton Hill were also available, and a party made good use of them.
The Ringing World No. 917, October 19th, 1928, page 663