The annual meeting of the Isle of Wight District was held at Carisbrooke on Saturday last [Nov. 27th], when there was a record attendance, thirty-eight members being present, and all affiliated towers were represented. The service was conducted by the Vicar (the Rev. H. S. Footman) and the Guild’s form was used, Dr. J. B. Williamson presiding at the organ. The company, including the president, the Rev. H. E. H. Coombes (Freshwater), the Rev. J. C. Orr (Whitwell), and the Rev. H. C. Stokes (Brading), were then entertained to a sumptuous tea at the Waverley Hotel by the Vicar.
At the meeting that followed, the president occupied the chair during the first portion of the business, and expressed his pleasure at meeting so many of the members.
The balance sheet showed receipts £8 6s. 8d., expenditure £3 5s. 5d. (including instruction at Brading), £4 15s. to be forwarded to the general treasurer, leaving a balance in hand of 3s. 3d.- This was considered satisfactory and adopted, together with the hon. secretary’s report for the year.
The Rev. H. S. Footman was elected president for the ensuing year, and other officers were re-elected, viz.: Mr. H. Barton District Ringing Master and representative on the Central Committee, Mr. B. J. Snow district secretary, and Mr. H. A. Phillips district auditor. Messrs. E. Fleming (Brading), H. Dowden (Ryde) and A. Drake (Carisbrooke) were proposed as full members, and K. Downer (Freshwater), G. Mundell and J. Cooper (Ryde) and H. Dawney (Godshill) as probationary members, and all were duly elected. Major C. W. Vincent, of Ryde, was elected an honorary member.
It was resolved to hold the next annual meeting at Newport on November 26th, 1927, and the spring quarterly meeting at Freshwater on February 26th, 1927, also a by-practice meeting at Arreton the last Saturday in January, subject to arrangements.
Arising from the matter re the division of the Diocese, Mr. W. Upton, of Newport, proposed ‘that on the division of the diocese, the members of the Isle of Wight District of the Winchester Diocesan Guild of Change Ringers are desirous of the Guild continuing on as hitherto.’- This was seconded by Mr. E. Hatcher, of Ryde, and supported by the ex-president, and on being put to the vote was carried unanimously.
Votes of thanks were accorded to the ex-president and the officers, also to the new president for his kind hospitality in entertaining the members to tea.
This concluded a most successful meeting, and further ringing then took place on Carisbrooke’s grand peal.
The Ringing World No. 819, December 3rd, 1926, page 762