ISLE OF WIGHT DISTRICT.
The annual meeting of the Island District was held at Carisbrooke [Jan. 31st] and good use was made of the beautiful peal of bells at this old and historical church. The service was conducted by the Vicar (the Rev. H. S. Footman, R.D.), and Dr. J. B. Williamson, of Ventnor, presided at the organ. The Rural Dean afterwards kindly entertained the ringers to tea, and at the business meeting which followed he was elected district president in place of the Rev. J. C. Orr, who, much to the regret of all Island ringers, is leaving the district at the end of February.
The statement of accounts showed receipts £10 15s. 8d., against expenditure £7 6s. 5d. (including £4 3s. 6d. sent to the headquarters of the Guild), leaving a credit balance of £3 9s. 3d. to the district.
Messrs. H. Barton, Ventnor (Ringing Master), B. J. Snow, Ryde (hon. secretary and treasurer), and H. A. Phillips, Godshill (hon. auditor), were re-elected and thanked for their past services.
Messrs. F. Wake and E. T. Drake, of Carisbrooke, were elected members of the Guild, and it was resolved to hold the next annual district meeting at Newport on January 30th, also a quarterly meeting at Brading on Saturday, April 25th.
Thanks were accorded the Vicar for his kind hospitality, also for the use of the bells. The methods rung during the afternoon and evening included Grandsire and Stedman Triples, Plain Bob Major and Kent Treble Bob Major.
The Ringing World No. 1040, February 27th, 1931, page 134