On Easter Sunday, during morning service, a new treble bell at the Church of SS. Peter and Paul, King’s Somborne, Hants, was dedicated by the Vicar.
The old ring of five bells have been away to the Croydon Foundry to be retuned and the new treble added by Messrs. Gillett and Johnston, who have made a good splice and carried out the job in their usual excellent style, and King’s Somborne now possesses a handy ring of six with a tenor of 12½ cwt.
A special service was held in the evening, the preacher being the Bishop of Southampton. A. service touch of 720 Bob Minor was rung by the following members of the Winchester Diocesan Guild: H. C. Nettle 1, G. Pullinger 2, H. Cook 3, G. Noice 4, A. Goulding 5, W. Andrews (conductor) 6.
Prior to the service, the ringers were very kindly entertained to tea by Mr. and Mrs. A. E. Smith. The Vicar presided, and mentioned that although a brass tablet in the church stated that the new treble bell was given by public subscription, it was due mainly to the efforts of Mr. Smith that it was accomplished.
The bells were open for ringing on Easter Monday, and Mr. C. Johnston kindly travelled all the way from Coventry in order to be present, and members of the Guild attended from Winchester Cathedral and Stockbridge, good use being made of the bells.
Messrs. Gillett and Johnston have in hand the recasting of the six bells at Ropley, Hants, which are to be dedicated by the Bishop of Winchester on May 4th.
The Ringing World No. 844, May 27th, 1927, page 332