A well-attended quarterly meeting was held at East Meon on Saturday last [Aug. 20th], when, despite the ceaseless rain, members were present from Bramshott, Haslemere, North Stoneham, East Meon, Portsmouth (St. Mary’s and St. Thomas’) and Swanmore. Among the visitors were the St. Peter’s, Brighton, ringers, who were on their outing, Messrs. A. W. Groves (Worthing) and T. A. Bamford (Raunds, Northants). A very enjoyable service was held in the church at 4.30, conducted by the Vicar (Rev. C. Beckwith).
At the business meeting which followed the Vicar was elected an honorary member, and said how delighted he was to welcome the Guild to East Meon, and also how much more pleased he was to become an honorary member of such an organisation.
Mr. G. Williams urged the Vicar, now that he was a member of the Guild, to ask his ringers also to become members.- The Vicar replied that he was convinced that the Parochial Church Council would be pleased to help the ringers financially towards this object.
It was decided to hold the annual district meeting at Portsmouth on November 12th next, when it is hoped to have the presence of the Bishop of Portsmouth.
The Master (Mr. G. Williams), on behalf of the meeting, welcomed the St. Peter’s, Brighton, company, who were present with them and the Master of the Sussex County Association (Mr. J. T. Rickman), replying for the visitors, thanked the Master for his welcome, and assured the members that they would do their best to return the compliment whenever they visited St. Peter’s.
Votes of thanks were accorded the Vicars of East Meon and Petersfield and the Rector of West Meon for the use of the respective bells. During the day several methods were rung from Grandsire Triples to London Surprise Major.
The Ringing World No. 857, August 26th, 1927, page 533