RECTOR’S STATEMENT AT PORTSMOUTH DISTRICT MEETING.
A very successful bye-meeting of the Portsmouth District of the Winchester and Portsmouth Diocesan Guild was held at Bishop’s Waltham last Saturday, when nearly 30 members were present from Bishop’s Waltham, Curdridge, Portsmouth (Cathedral and St. Mary’s), Shedfield, Swanmore and Wickham, together with the Master (Mr. G. Williams), and visitors from Haslemere, King’s Somborne, Ringwood, Winchester and Mr. O. J. Hunt (Coventry).
The bells were available during the afternoon and evening, and were fully used. The Rector (Canon H. Sharpe) paid a visit to the belfry, and gave a brief survey of the position regarding the provision of two new trebles and overhauling the present six to increase the peal to eight. Messrs. Taylor and Co., of Loughborough, had estimated to complete the job for £174, and it had been decided to issue circulars at once in the parish in order to raise the necessary amount. As several substantial promises had been made, including £25 from the churchwardens, which amount covered the overhauling of the present six, the Rector saw no reason why the remainder should not be forthcoming. It was his intention, he said, to complete this job before he resigned next March.
A very enjoyable tea was served in the Abbey Tea Rooms, after which the members returned to the tower for further ringing until 8 p.m. During the day the ringing consisted of Stedman Doubles, Plain Bob, Oxford Single, Kent and Oxford Treble Bob, Cambridge and London Surprise Minor.
The Ringing World No. 910, August 31st, 1928, page 551