PORTSMOUTH DISTRICT AT CATHERINGTON.
A very enjoyable by-meeting of the Portsmouth District was held at Catherington on Saturday last [Sept. 14th] when, by kind permission of the Vicar (Rev. H. M. Lake), the peal of six was available to the members during the afternoon and evening. The weather was ideal, and members were present from Catherington, East Meon, Portsmouth (St. Mary’s), Ryde and Titchfield, also visitors from Rogate and Mr. J. H. Shepherd (Swindon).
A short service was held in the church, at which the Vicar officiated and gave an excellent address, after which the members adjourned to tea. At the close of this, the Vicar welcomed the Guild to Catherington, and hoped that before long they would pay them another visit. On behalf of the Guild, the Secretary (Mr. F. W. Rogers) thanked the Vicar for his kind words, and also for allowing them the use of the bells that day.
At the conclusion the members paid a further visit to the tower until 7 p.m., when the bells were lowered in peal. The ringing during the day comprised Grandsire, Stedman and Bob Doubles, Plain Bob, Oxford and Kent Treble Bob and Cambridge Surprise Minor.
The Ringing World No. 965, September 20th, 1929, page 602