GOSPORT REVISITED AFTER 15 YEARS.
A very successful meeting of the Portsmouth District was held at Gosport on Saturday last [Oct. 26th], it being 15 years since the Guild last met there, and over 30 members were present from Alverstoke, Bramshott, Curdridge, Fareham, Gosport, Portsmouth (St. Mary’s and St. Thomas’), Ryde, Shedfield, Titchfield and Wickham, visitors from Beaconsfield, and Mr. J. H. Shepherd (Swindon).
The bells were available during the afternoon, and at 4.30 the Guild’s service was held in the church, the Vicar kindly officiating and giving the address. An excellent tea was served in the Parish Hall, after which the business meeting was held, Col. A. de W. Kitcat being voted to the chair. Apologies for absence were received from Mr. E. Woods (Bramshott) and Capt. A. R. W. Woods, R.N. (Alverstoke), who were both indisposed.
The Vicar of Gosport was, subject to his consent, elected an hon. Member, and G. Jurd (Gosport) a ringing member.
It was decided, after a vote, to hold the annual district meeting at Alverstoke on January 27th, 1930. It was also resolved that the secretary should send a letter of sympathy to Canon G. Landon (Alverstoke) in his recent loss by the death of his daughter.
Votes of thanks were accorded the Vicar for the use of the bells, and the organist for kindly officiating at the organ. In reply, the Chairman, on behalf of the Vicar, welcomed the members to Gosport that day, and hoped that it would not be another 15 years before they came again.
The Secretary (Mr. F. W. Rogers) thanked the chairman for his kind remarks, and also those who had been mentioned in the votes of thanks.
At the conclusion of the meeting another visit was paid to the tower, and, although the bells are somewhat difficult for strangers to handle, some very good touches were brought round in methods ranging to Double Norwich and Cambridge Surprise Major.
The Ringing World No. 971, November 1st, 1929, page 694