A very successful meeting of the Portsmouth District was held at East Meon on Saturday, July 19th, when nearly 40 ringers were present from Bramshott, Blackmoor, East Meon, Petersfield, Portsmouth (St. Thomas’ and St. Mary’s), North Stoneham, Ryde, Swanmore and Titchfield, also visitors from Bath, Rogate and Mr. J. W. Trappitt (Alton).
Ringing commenced about three o’clock and continued until 4.30, during which time the Vicar (Rev. C. Beckwith ) visited the belfry and welcomed the members. The Guild service was held in the Lady Chapel, the Vicar also acting as organist. A very helpful address was also given by him, based on the Rotary motto, ‘Service, not self.’
An excellent tea was served in the George Inn, which was followed by the business meeting, at which the Vicar presided. Mr. Alan R. Pink, late secretary of the Leatherhead District of the Guildford Diocesan Guild, who now resides at Petersfield, was elected a ringing member and was warmly welcomed to the district.
It was decided to hold the next meeting at Havant, where the bells have been recently restored, on Saturday, October 18th next.
A hearty vote of thanks was accorded the Rev. C. Beckwith for his kindness in giving, permission to ring and for presiding at the meeting. In the course of his reply he said how much East Meon was indebted to the Guild for the valuable assistance given to his ringers by instruction.
The ringers adjourned to the tower for further ringing until 8 p.m. During the day the ringing ranged from Rounds and Grandsire Doubles to Superlative, Cambridge, London and Bristol Surprise Major.
The Ringing World No. 1011, August 8th, 1930, page 507