PORTSMOUTH DISTRICT AT BISHOP’S WALTHAM.
A well-attended meeting of the Portsmouth District was held at Bishop’s Waltham on Saturday last [Oct. 24th], when the fine weather attracted a large number of ringers from Bishop’s Waltham, Gosport, Lymington, North Stoneham, Overton, Petersfield, Portsmouth (Cathedral and St. Mary’s), Southampton, Swanmore, Ryde, Titchfield, Twyford, Wickham and members of the local band.
The two peals of six at Swanmore and Bishop’s Waltham were available during the afternoon and evening, and were used to full advantage. At the Guild service, which was conducted by the Rector (the Rev. N. H. Stubbs), Mr. D. C. Williams, F.R.C.O., presided at the organ.
An excellent tea was served in the Elms Hut, which was followed by the usual business meeting, at which the Rector presided, supported by Mr. G. Williams (Master), Mr. F. W. Rogers (general secretary) and others. The Rector was elected an honorary member and A. Garrett (Petersfield) a ringing member.
A vote of congratulation to the Master and Mrs. Williams on celebrating their golden wedding was passed with acclamation.
A sadder note was struck when the meeting stood in silence as a token of respect to Mr. H. Barton on the loss of his wife recently.
It was decided to hold the annual district meeting at Fareham on January 23rd, or, failing this, at Alverstoke.
Votes of thanks were accorded the Rector and also the Vicar of Swanmore for the use of their respective towers, and also to the organist for his services.- In reply, the Rector said how delighted he was to be there on that occasion, and hoped the members would partake of his hospitality during the coming year.
A further visit was made to the towers at the conclusion of the meeting, the methods practised being Grandsire and Stedman Doubles, Plain Bob and Grandsire, Minor, Kent and Oxford Treble Bob and Cambridge Surprise.
The Ringing World No. 1075, October 30th, 1931, page 704