The annual meeting of the Portsmouth District was held at Portsmouth on Saturday, January 21st, when members attended from Alverstoke, Fareham, Gosport, Hambledon, Isle of Wight, North Stoneham, Portsmouth (Cathedral and St. Mary’s), Swanmore, Titchfield, Winchester, Wickham, and a visitor from St. Giles-in-the-Fields, London. The Guild’s service was held in the Cathedral, at which the Rev. A. F. Smethurst, officiating in the absence of the Provost, was supported by the Rev. E. B. James.
After tea in the Church Hall, the business meeting was held, the Rev. A. F. Smethurst taking the chair. The secretary’s report and the balance sheet for the year were duly passed by the members. The officers for the ensuing year were elected as follows: Chairman, Rev. E. B. James; secretary, Mr. A. T. Greenwood; Central Committee representatives, Messrs. R. J. Stone and F. S. Bayley; auditor, Mr. H. Reynolds.
The retiring chairman, Mr. R. J. Stone, and Central Committee representative, Mr. F. A. Burnett, were thanked for their past services.
Miss A. M. Eager (Cathedral) was elected a ringing member, and Mr. R. Rawlings (Beckenham) a compounding member.- Swanmore was selected as the next meeting place, the date to be April 22nd.
The Rev. E. B. James appealed to the members to support "The Ringing World," so that with an increased circulation the paper could be made larger and contain other items of interest.
Votes of thanks were accorded the Provost for the use of bells, Rev. A. F. Smethurst for his excellent address, the organist and the caterers.- The Rev. A. F. Smethurst suitably responded. The members afterwards returned to the tower for further ringing, which consisted of Grandsire, Stedman, Bob Major, Double Norwich, Cambridge, London and Bristol Surprise Major.
The Ringing World No. 1141, February 3rd, 1933, page 71