The annual meeting of the Portsmouth District was held at St. Mary's, Portsea, on Saturday, January 20th, when members were present from Alverstoke, Bishopstoke, Bishop's Waltham, Fareham, Gosport, Hambledon, North Stoneham, Petersfield, Portsmouth (Cathedral and St. Mary's), Ryde, Soberton, Swanmore, Wickham and visitors from Brighton and Shoreham. The Guild's service was held in the South Chapel, conducted by the Vicar (Canon G. C. L. Lunt), who gave a very inspiring address. Tea was partaken of in the Parish Institute, and the subsequent business meeting was presided over by the district chairman (the Rev. E. Bankes James).
The secretary's report and balance sheet were adopted, the accounts showing a balance of £12 18s. 11d. on the year's working.
All the officers were re-elected, viz.: Chairman, the Rev. E. Bankes James; hon. secretary, Mr. A. T. Greenwood; auditor, Mr. H. G. Reynolds; representatives on committee, Messrs. F. S. Bayley and R. J. Stone.
Seventeen new ringing members were elected, including the Soberton band.
It was decided to hold the next annual district meeting at Fareham in January, and the first quarterly meeting at Havant on April 21st.
The usual votes of thanks were accorded, after which the members again visited the belfry.
The fine peal of eight were much in demand, and methods rung ranged from rounds to Superlative, London and Bristol Surprise Major. Several members remained in the belfry for further handbell ringing, and touches of Bob Major, Grandsire Caters, Stedman Triples and Caters were rung.
The Ringing World No. 1194, February 9th, 1934, page 91