A quarterly meeting of the Portsmouth District of the Winchester and Portsmouth Diocesan Guild was held at Buriton on Saturday, July 18th, when members attended from Blackmoor, Catherington, Havant, Petersfield, Portsmouth (St. Mary's), Steep, Soberton, Titchfield and Wickham. The local band welcomed the visitors, it being the first time the Guild had held a meeting at Buriton. The ring of six were kept going during the afternoon in a variety of methods. The Guild service was conducted by the Rector (Canon G. S. Morley).
An excellent tea was served at the local inn, after which the business meeting was held, the Rector being voted to the chair. On the proposition of Mr. H. Dudman, seconded by Mr. F. W. Rogers, Capt. E. P. Bickford was elected an honorary member of the Guild. This was carried with acclamation, the secretary reminding the members that Capt. Bickford was taking a great interest in getting Soberton bells restored.
The following ringing members were then elected on the proposition of Mr. A. T. Greenwood, seconded by Mr. F. S. Bayley: R. V. Cockle (Bishop's Waltham), R. Robinson (Portsea), J. Pope (Soberton), G. New, W. Burgess, H. G. Harper, W. Patrick, W. Pretty and H. J. Stubbs (Buriton). The election of B. P. Morris prior to a peal attempt was confirmed. The general secretary said how pleased he was to welcome the Buriton ringers into the Guild, and trusted they would progress and interest themselves in its work.
It was proposed by Mr. F. W. Rogers, seconded by Mr. H. J. Smith, that the next quarterly meeting be held at St. Mary's, Portsmouth, on either Saturday, October 10th, or Saturday, October 17th.
Votes of thanks were accorded the Rector for the use of the bells and officiating at service and business meeting, also to the organist and the caterers for their excellent tea. The Rector suitably responded and expressed a wish that the Guild would visit Buriton in the near future.
The members then returned to the tower for further ringing, which ranged from rounds to Cambridge Surprise Minor.
The Ringing World No. 1322, July 24th, 1936, page 481