The annual meeting of the Portsmouth District was held at St. Mary's, Portsmouth, on Saturday, January 21st, members attending from Alverstoke, Bishopstoke, Bishop's Waltham, Curdridge, Fareham, Hambledon, North Stoneham, Portsmouth (Cathedral and St. Mary's), Ryde, Southampton, Soberton and Swanmore. The Guild service was held in the Lady Chapel, at which the Vicar of Portsea officiated. An excellent tea was served, after which the business meeting was held, the Vicar (Canon H. C. Robins) being voted to the chair.
The secretary (Mr. A. T. Greenwood) read the district report for the year and also the accounts, which showed a very successful year. Membership had increased from 113 to 127. The balance to the general treasurer amounted to £9 4s., while the balance in hand for the district was £13 15s. 8d. Restoration work had been carried out at Soberton, for which a grant of £5 5s. had been given from the district funds.
The district officers were elected as follows: Chairman, Mr. W. Linter; hon. secretary, Mr. A. T. Greenwood; auditor, Mr. T. R. Taylor; representatives on Central Committee, Messrs. F. S. Bayley and R. J. Stone.
It was resolved that the annual meeting be held in Portsmouth every year at alternate towers. The next annual meeting will be at the Cathedral on January 20th, 1940. Votes of thanks were accorded the Vicar for the use of the bells and officiating at the service and presiding at the business meeting, to the organist and to the caterers for the splendid tea.
Members then returned to the tower for further ringing, which ranged from rounds to Surprise Major.
The Ringing World No. 1454, February 3rd, 1939, page 71