A meeting of this district was held at St. Mary's, Portsmouth, on Saturday last, and was attended by members from Fareham, North Stoneham, Liss, Petersfield, Portsmouth (Cathedral and St. Mary's) and Titchfield. Mr. C. E. Smith (Godalming) was also present.
Ringing took place from 2.30 p.m., and evensong was attended in the church at 5 p.m., at which the Guild form of service was used, conducted by the Rev. A. Van der Byl, who gave the address. Tea was served in the Parish Hall, after which the business meeting was held. In the unavoidable absence of the secretary (Mr. A. T. Greenwood), his duties were carried out by the general secretary (Mr. F. W. Rogers), supported by the Master (Mr. G. Williams).
It was decided to hold the next quarterly meeting at Fareham on April 20th, 1940.
A talk on the future arrangements of ringing in the district took place, and Mr. W. Linter (Fareham) was thanked for his services in arranging mid-week practices for towers in the district, and it was agreed to recommend the annual district meeting to defray his expenses for postages, etc., incurred in arranging these meetings.
The Cathedral authorities would welcome their bells being used for practices on Saturday afternoons, and it was agreed to hold meetings for this purpose on November 18th and December 16th next, future practices being fixed from each quarterly meeting.
At the close of the meeting votes of thanks were accorded the Vicar for the use of the bells, and the ladies who had provided tea. Ringing during the day consisted of Grandsire and Stedman Triples, Double Norwich, Cambridge, Bristol, London and Spliced Surprise Major.
The Ringing World No. 1492, October 27th, 1939, page 657