A JOINT GUILD FOR WINCHESTER AND PORTSMOUTH.
A joint meeting of the Portsmouth and Isle of Wight Districts was held at Ryde on Saturday last [July 23rd], when, by kind permission of the Vicar, the peal of eight at All Saints’ Church was available during the afternoon and evening. Some good ringing was indulged in, and useful practice obtained by some of the members in the higher methods.
After tea at the Welby Institute, the Master (Mr. G. Williams) gave the members an outline of the proposed constitution of the new Guild. The sanction of both the Bishops of Winchester and Portsmouth had been obtained to form a joint diocesan association, and it was proposed to hold a special general meeting in the autumn to launch the new association, which will take effect as from January 1st next.
It was also mentioned that proposals were on foot to make a larger number of districts with a maximum of 12 towers in each, so that they could be more easily visited and worked.
As this was not a recognised district meeting, no action could be taken, but the chat amongst the members was much appreciated.
At the conclusion, touches were rung on the handbells by several of the ringers. Further ringing was indulged in on tower bells until 8 p.m.; the methods rung including the standard methods and Superlative, Cambridge, London and Bristol Surprise Major. During the day, ringers were present from Brading, Carisbrooke, Fareham, North Stoneham, Portsmouth (St. Mary’s and St. Thomas’), Ryde, Newport, Southampton, London and Manchester.
The Ringing World No. 853, July 29th, 1927, page 476