SOUTHAMPTON DISTRICT INAUGURATED.
The inaugural meeting of the new Southampton District of the Winchester and Portsmouth Diocesan Guild was held at Southampton on Sat., Jan. 7th. St. Mary’s and St. Michael’s bells were available during the afternoon and evening; service was held in St. Michael’s Church, conducted by the Vicar (Rev. R. A. R. Spread), after which tea and meeting took place in St. Michael’s Parish Hall. Mr. Geo. Williams (Master) presided, supported by the Vicar of Dibden (Rev. G. T. Tritton). The officers for the new district were elected as follows: Chairman, Rev. G. T. Tritton; secretary, Mr. W. T. Tucker; Ringing Master, Mr. Geo. Williams; representative on the Central Council, Mr. J. W. Faithfull; auditor, Mr. Summerfield.
It was decided to hold the next annual meeting at Southampton on Saturday, January 12th, 1929, and quarterly meetings at Eling on April 14th, Romsey July 14th, and North Stoneham October 13th. Notice of these will be given in ‘The Ringing World.’
Members attended from St. Mary’s and St. Michael’s, Southampton, North Stoneham, Netley, Dibden, Romsey, Winchester, King’s Somborne, Ringwood, Fareham, Brockenhurst and Portsmouth.
Votes of thanks were passed to Archdeacon Daldy (St. Mary’s) and Rev. R. A. R. Spread (St. Michael’s) for the use of both peals of bells, and to Mr. D. C. Williams, F.R.C.O., for presiding at the organ at the service.
The Ringing World No. 878, January 20th, 1928, page 43