SOUTHAMPTON DISTRICT SECRETARY’S RESIGNATION.
A very successful meeting of the Southampton District was held at Bishopstoke on November 12th, when 38 members and friends were present from Bishopstoke, Eling, Fareham, Dibden, North Stoneham, Owslebury, Portsmouth, Swanmore, Southampton, Titchfield and Twyford. Welcome visitors were Mr. H. Barton (Ventnor) and Mr. Troke (St. Giles-in-the-Fields).
At the business meeting, which followed the tea, the district secretary (Mr. W. T. Tucker) tendered his resignation, and explained that he had been transferred by his employers (the Southern Railway) from Eastleigh to Selhurst, Croydon. This was accepted with regret, as Mr. Tucker has been a very popular district secretary for the past twelve years.
Mr. G. Pullinger was appointed secretary pro tem. to act until the annual district meeting in January, when a successor to Mr. Tucker will be appointed.
It was reported that the bells of Romsey Abbey had been removed to the Whitechapel Foundry for overhaul, and it was expected that the work would be completed before the end of the year. It was therefore decided to hold a special meeting at Romsey as soon as possible after the bells had been put in order.
The Rector of Bishopstoke and Mrs. H. White were elected hon. members.
The bells were made good use of from 2.30 p.m. to 8 p.m., touches in the following methods being rung: Grandsire and Stedman Triples, Bob, Double Norwich, Superlative and Cambridge Major.
The Ringing World No. 1130, November 18th, 1932, page 755