Satisfactory progress was reported at a meeting of the Southampton District of the Winchester and Portsmouth Diocesan Guild, held at Southampton on Saturday, January 9th. During the afternoon and evening there was ringing on the ten bells of St. Mary's (which were half-muffled on account of the death of Col. Sir Edwin Perkins), St. Michael's and Holy Rood, and a variety of methods up to Cambridge Royal was rung.
The Guild service in St. Mary's Church was conducted by the Vicar, the Rev. Canon R. B. Jolly, who also gave an address.
Mr. George Williams, Master of the Guild, presided at the business meeting, supported by the Rev. Evan Jones (hon. treasurer of the Guild), Mr. D. Cecil Williams, Mus.Bac. (University College, Southampton), Mr. J. W. Faithfull (secretary, St. Mary's Guild), Mr. George Pullinger (district secretary) and Mr. Wilfrid Andrews (captain of Winchester Cathedral band).
The towers represented were Southampton, Eastleigh, North Stoneham, Bishopstoke, Romsey, Dibden, Eling, Fawley, Netley, Lockerley, Mottisfont and Upham, and members were also present from Portsmouth Cathedral, Portsea, Wickham, Titchfield, Soberton, Fareham, Bournemouth, Poole and Winchester.
Mr. Wilfred Andrews announced that Winchester Cathedral bells, taken down for recasting, would be dedicated on March 20th, some weeks earlier than was expected.
The Master will celebrate his 80th birthday on May 7th, and the hope was expressed that attempts will be made for peals in a number of towers in celebration of the event.
The audited accounts showed a balance, and it was agreed to make the collection up to £1 1s. for the St. Mary's Restoration Fund.
The secretary reported on a successful year, and urged greater effort in ringing for the ordinary Sunday services, even at some personal sacrifice. A total of 16 honorary and 88 ringing members had paid subscriptions. The bells of Mottisfont were in a bad state, but in the other churches of the district they were in good order.
Several new members were elected, and the election of Messrs. G. H. King (of Breaston, Derby) and G. Parsons (of Blackfriars, London) prior to peals was confirmed.
General regret was expressed at Mr. Pullinger's request to be relieved of his office, and his valued services not only to the district, but also to the Central Committee were mentioned. He was warmly thanked for his work, and eventually was persuaded to carry on with Mr. A. J. Corrigan (North Stoneham) as joint hon. secretary.
The Rev. G. T. Tritton, who was unable to attend owing to illness, was re-elected chairman, and Messrs. J. W. Faithfull and W. T. Tucker, North Stoneham, were chosen as representatives on the committee. The re-election of Mr. G. Williams as Ringing Master was greeted with applause.
District meetings agreed to were: February 27th, Mottisfont and Romsey; May 8th, Dibden; July 17th, Lockerley and Tytherley; October 2nd, Netley.
The Ringing World No. 1348, January 22nd, 1937, page 53