On Sunday, July 22nd, at St. Andrew’s Church, Sherborne St. John, Hants, the Bishop of Winchester dedicated a new treble in memory of men of the village who lost their lives in the Great War. The existing five have also been retuned by Messrs. Mears and Stainbank in a very satisfactory way. The ‘go’ of the bells is now excellent, and after the service the undermentioned rang a well-struck 720 of Bob Minor in 27 mins.: J. Ballard (Basingstoke) 1, C. Osler (Bramley) 2, K. Hunt (Oakley) 3, W. Ford (Mortimer) 4, J. Chesterman (Basingstoke) 5, G. C. Hammond (Sherborne St. John) (conductor) 6, who thus achieved his ambition to call the first 720 on the newly-augmented peal. It is 35 years since he called a 720, and all present hoped he might have the pleasure of calling the first peal on the bells.
The Ringing World No. 906, August 3rd, 1928, page 488