The annual meeting of the Winchester District was held at Southampton on Saturday, November 6th. St. Mary’s and St. Michael’s bells were available to members during the afternoon and evening, the methods rung ranging from Grandsire Triples to London Surprise. Service was held in St. Michael’s Church, conducted by the Vicar, Rev. R. A. R. Spread, the Guild form of service being used, and. Mr. D. C. Williams, F.R.C.O., presiding at the organ.
Tea and business meeting took place in St. Michael’s Parish Hall, Rev. Canon Braithwaite being in the chair, supported by the Vicar of St. Michael’s, Rev. J. Parmiter (Vicar of Holy Rood), Mr. Churchwarden Hunt, Mr. Geo. Williams (Master), Mr. Geo. Pullinger (general secretary), and members from Bishopstoke, Bishop Sutton, Hursley, Fareham, Dibden, North Stoneham, Southampton, Twyford, Stockbridge, Lymington, Winchester, Bournemouth, Ringwood, Mr. F. Lambeth (Chippenham), Mr. S. Procter (Grantham), and Mr. S. R. Roper (of Messrs. Gillett and Johnston’s, Croydon).
The balance sheet showed receipts £15 0s. 9d., expenditure, including instruction at Stockbridge, £5 10s. 9½d. £8 2s. had been handed over to the Guild treasurer, leaving a balance in hand of £1 7s. 11½d., which was considered satisfactory and passed.
All the officers were re-elected, viz.: Chairman, Rev. Canon Braithwaite; district secretary, Mr. W. T. Tucker; auditor, Mr. G. Smith; with Mr. W. Andrews and Mr. J. W. Faithfull as representatives on the Central Committee. The next question discussed was the division of the diocese, and the following resolution, which was passed at Southampton on November 3rd, 1923, was placed before the meeting and carried unanimously: ‘That when the present diocese is divided, this meeting of the Winchester District is very strongly in favour of the Guild continuing as hitherto, and that the title be changed to the Winchester, Guildford and Portsmouth Diocesan Guild. We invite ringers in the new dioceses of Guildford and Portsmouth to remain in unity with us, and to help carry on the great work and great name of the Winchester Diocesan Guild.’
It was decided to hold the next annual meeting on the first Saturday in November, 1927, at Winchester.
Quarterly meetings were arranged for the first Saturday in February at New Alresford, first Saturday in May at Stockbridge, last Saturday in August at Sherfield English.
The Vicars of Holy Rood and St. Michael’s were elected honorary members of the Guild, and the local band were elected members.
Votes of thanks were accorded to the Rector of St. Mary’s, Archdeacon Daldy, and the Rev. R. A. R. Spread, Vicar of St. Michael’s and to the chairman for presiding.
The Ringing World No. 816, November 12th, 1926, page 714