The inaugural meeting of the new Winchester District was held at Winchester on Saturday, January 14th, and was a great success, over 50 ringers attending from the following towers: Alresford, Basingstoke, Brown Candover, Hursley, Micheldever, North Stoneham, King’s Somborne, Portsmouth, Stockbridge, Twyford, Woolton Hill, Winchester, and visitors from Bedford and Bromley.
Mr. G. Williams presided at the business meeting, and was supported by the Vicars of King’s Somborne, Brown Candover and Basingstoke, and in opening he stated that the following towers had been placed in the new Winchester District: Cathedral, College, St. Maurice, Alresford, Hursley, Twyford, Avington, Owslebury, Old Alresford, King’s Somborne, Stockbridge, Micheldever, Tichborne, Cheriton, Brown Candover, Barton Stacey, Bishop’s Sutton, Crawley, Longstock, Sparsholt and Wonston.
Canon Braithwaite was elected district chairman, Mr. C. Smith (King’s Somborne) district secretary, Mr. W. Andrews (cathedral) representative on Central Council, and Mr. G. Smith (Twyford) district auditor.
It was decided to hold the next annual district meeting at Winchester on January 19th, 1929.
Quarterly meetings were arranged as follows: King’s Somborne on April 21st, Wonston and Micheldever on July 21st, and Brown Candover and Old Alresford on September 29th.
The bands at Micheldever and Brown Candover joined the Guild, also two new members from King’s Somborne.
Mr. C. B. Scott (King’s Somborne) was elected a life member, and the Vicar of Brown Candover an honorary member.
The bells of the cathedral and St. Maurice’s Church were available for ringing during the afternoon and evening, and various methods practised, ranging from Doubles to Cinques. Several present had their first pull on 12 bells.
The Ringing World No. 878, January 20th, 1928, page 43