The annual meeting of the Winchester District was held at Winchester [Jan. 10th]. As it was on the day of the funeral of the Princess Royal, the Cathedral bells were rung half-muffled during the afternoon and evening, a touch of Grandsire Cinques just previous to the service being much admired. The service was held at St. Maurice’s Church, by kind permission of the Rector (Rev. S. M. Watson), and a very striking address was given by the Rev. E. M. Thomas, curate of Romsey.

A record party assembled at Messrs. Dumpers, High Street, for tea, the towers represented including Bishop’s Sutton, Hursley, King’s Somborne, Lymington, Micheldever, North Stoneham, Overton, Petersfield, Romsey, Stockbridge, Titchfield, Twyford, Wonston, Wallop and Winchester. The business meeting followed, at which Mr. G. Williams, Master of the Guild, was voted to the chair. He was supported by Mr. W. H. Loveland. Apologies for absence were read from the Rev. Canon Braithwaite, Minor Canon Woods, and the Rev. S. M. Watson.

The Chairman extended a welcome to all present, and said he was particularly pleased to see so many young ringers.

The Hon. Secretary (Mr. Cyril Smith, King’s Somborne) read a brief report of year’s working.- The report and accounts were adopted.

The secretary was directed to send a letter of sincere sympathy to Mrs. Briggs on the sad loss of her husband (the late Rev. A. E. Brigg, Vicar of Owlesbury). Several new members were elected, among them the Rev. G. M. Elliott and Miss Noice, hon. members, and ringers from Wallop, Twyford and Hursley.

All the officers were re-elected, with the exception of the hon. secretary, who wished to resign: The Rev. Canon Braithwaite, chairman; Mr. Wilfred Andrews, representative; Mr. George Smith, auditor; Mr. George Noice, 6, Cathedral View, Winchester, was elected hon. secretary.

On the proposition of Mr. Andrews, the next annual meeting will be held at Winchester, on January 2nd, 1932, and quarterly meetings at Tichborne, Twyford, Stockbridge and King’s Somborne.

A vote of thanks was passed to Mr. Cyril Smith for his past services as hon. secretary for several years, also to the Dean and Chapter for the use of the Cathedral bells. The bells of St. Maurice’s Church were not available owing to the tower being unsafe.

The Ringing World No. 1038, February 13th, 1931, page 108