By kind permission of the Vicar, the Rev. J. R. Husband, a quarterly meeting of the Winchester District of the Winchester and Portsmouth Diocesan Guild was held at Hursley on Saturday, April 6th, when there was an excellent attendance, no less than 17 different towers being represented, and the bells were kept going in a variety of methods from 2.30 till 7 o'clock.
Although feeling far from well (he was only just recovering from an attack of influenza), the Vicar conducted the Guild service, and in his short and helpful address welcomed members to the church.
Tea was served in the Club Room, the catering arrangements being in the capable hands of Mrs. Hunt.
The business meeting followed, and in the absence of the district chairman (the Rev. N. C. Woods, from whom a letter of apology was read), it was presided over by Mr. George Williams (Master of the Guild), supported by the district secretary (Mr. W. G. Goodchild). The Chairman said how pleased he was to see such a good company, and extended a hearty welcome to all, particularly to those members of H.M. Forces, of whom several were present. Four new ringing members were elected, namely, H. Jones and W. Bark, Hursley; G. Arrowsmith, Wonston, and J. W. E. Dunn, King's Somborne.
Mr. Andrews, on behalf of all present, expressed the hope that the Vicar would soon recover his good health, and thanked him for taking the service and for use of the bells. Thanks were also accorded to the organist, Mr. Smith, and to Mrs. Hunt and her helpers for arranging tea.
The Ringing World No. 1517, April 19, 1940, page 187