The annual meeting of the Winchester District was held in Winchester on February 4th. The bells of the Cathedral were unfortunately not available due to belfry repairs, but good use was made of the six bells of St. Maurice's, under the direction of the Ringing Master, Mr. R. Smith. The service was held in St. Laurence's Church, with a short address by the Rev. E. Bannister.
The tea was held in St. Maurice's Hall, followed by the meeting, under the chairmanship of the Rev. C. E. C. Brinkworth. The secretary reported that a record of 17 meetings had been held during 1955. The bells of Preston Candover had been augmented and restored during the year and others were pending - Old Alresford, Cheriton and Owslebury. The treasurer had not such a bright report, having to record a loss of £9, partly due to a donation of £5 to the Old Alresford Bell Restoration Fund.
The secretary, Mr. J. A. C. King, announced his decision not to stand again as secretary. Having been elected the general secretary the previous July, he felt he could not carry on as District Secretary. Mr. C. W. Lampard, captain of Winchester Cathedral, spoke in appreciation of Mr. King's services. Mr. R. F. Brewer was elected District secretary and Mr. P. Nash became the assistant secretary. Other officers were re-elected.
It was decided to go ahead with the dinner again this year and also, after some discussion, the outing. Mr. P. Dickinson appealed for financial assistance towards the Cheriton Bell Restoration Fund. It was agreed to donate £5. This concluded the business and ringing was continued at St. Maurice's until later in the evening.
The Ringing World No. 2343, February 24, 1956, page 124