The Quarterly meeting of the Winchester District took place on the 13th November. Afternoon ringing commenced at St. Peter & St. Paul, Kings Somborne then at St. Andrew, Mottisfont before going to St. Mary’s, Broughton where general ringing took place before the service touch and evensong for some fifty ringers and their families.
This meeting was a noteworthy event because it was the first time that the Winchester branch had held a meeting at Broughton. Mr. A. P. Smith, Chairman, had the pleasant duty of welcoming the Broughton bell ringers into the area covered by the Winchester District. Their Tower Captain being Mr. David Forder.
Further ringing took place in the evening and a memorable sight not often witnessed by people was the illumination of the bells, perhaps by chance, whilst ringing was taking place. The bells could be seen turning, pausing and turning again within the tower framed by the darkness of the night and the outline of the windows of the belfry.
The Ringing World No. 3738, December 17, 1982, page 1051